The Comedians Wife

The Comedians Wife
If it's good luck when it rains on your wedding day, what does it mean if a hurricane blows through?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

90's tattoo's I hate you.

Having been a child of the 80's, but a teenager of the early 90's, I have become horribly aware of just how embarrassing this decade was.  I get a little reminder of it every time a mommy bends down to change a diaper in mommy group, and some questionably accurate Chinese symbol on her back, pops right out at me.  You can always spot a good 90's chick by the tattoo on her lower back, bikini line, ankle, or hip.

I myself became a victim of this horrific fad. I have a tattoo, that can only be described as stupid, of a sun with a smiley face on my ankle.  Every morning when I step out of the shower and start to apply my favorite lotion, I curse my younger self.  As the lotion glides over the stupid sun, I usually get more enraged and I give it the finger.  I wish I could remember what the hell I was thinking.  I know I was with my besties, I know "everyone was doing it", but I can't remember anything else.  I wish I could remember how the hell I came to the brilliant conclusion to choose a sun.  How at 18 years of age, I thought a sun would be the right thing to represent who I was for the rest of my life.  This baffles me. I don't even like the sun! It takes me 45 minutes to decide what to wear in the morning,and usually stresses me out, yet putting a sun on my ankle forever, no big deal.  I should have just tattooed a picture of my mothers face on my ankle saying, " You're gonna regret this."

Clearly I never thought it through.  I never thought about being a mom myself one day and what my child might think of it.  Never thought about what it might mean in the future.  I surely never thought about how I would feel 13 years later, with my feet in the air ,strapped to stirrups, giving birth, staring down at that bastard sun.

My only comfort in the matter, is that clearly I am among the millions of young ladies who decided to do this, and we have  become sort of a new generation of mommy's with tattoos. We're no hells angels or bad ass rock stars, just a bunch of mommy's running around in our leggings and t-shirts, sporting some pretty hilarious ink.   You may be a J. Crew wearing, organic food coking, prim and proper mom today, but girl friend, we were all once the same. Prisoners of the 90's.

 Today I saw a mommy bend over ,and a full size Tinkerbell was staring back at me. "Jesus" I thought, She has got to regret that.  NO ONE likes Tinkerbell that much!  Then  I thought, who knows, maybe I have got it all wrong.  Maybe that mommy actually did think ahead and knew how entertaining Tinkerbell on her back would be one day.

Whatever the case may be, you've got to stop and laugh at the silliness of it all, the innocence of being young and stupid, and just how freaking awesome it must have been when that stupid girl tattooed a Chinese symbol, of what she thought was her boyfriends name on her stomach, and then later found out at a Chinese restaurant it actually stands for "TAKE -OUT."

So to all the butterflies, tweedy birds, lady bugs, tribal arm bands, fairy's, wings and Chinese symbols, you suck!

7 comments:

  1. LOL moms face hahahahaha I cant even deal !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me think of aunt Joan today. Thanks. You know how she "loved" ink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...maybe I should print this out and save for Corrina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, I hate my stupid sun tattoo on my ankle too. So dumb, I cringe when I go to a play date and people actually have the nerve to ask me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha.... i miss that tattoo! Although the image of your mom's face on your ankle is classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My next tat will be of Mary. I will add her to my existing tramp stamp and it will e glorious.

    So it turns out it could be worse. I saw this site and immediately thought of you and this post. Aseriesofchoices.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete